Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Love Windy Days

"Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by."
Christina Rossetti

I've known this phrase from a poem for many years but never knew who wrote it. I looked it up just now, so I could site the author and then got distracted reading other poems written my Christina Rossetti. That's not the point of my blog tonight though, so I'll save that for another time!

I have always loved the wind. I love how it sharpens one's senses and makes you feel alive. I love how tired it makes you feel (in a good way) when you are out in it. Today, I especially loved how it clears out all the people and makes the outdoors blissfully empty. My husband does not share my love of the wind. He finds it annoying and bothersome. He doesn't like how it blows things around when he's trying to do something and how it stirs things up and makes his nose run. Just a difference in our personalities that makes life interesting!

I took my usual long walk today, in much solitude and blustery conditions. To quote my grandma it was so beautiful, "it almost hurts!" I never understood that sentiment when I was a child or teenager, but now I really get it. It's when something is so beautiful or profound that you can't look at it enough, you can't appreciate it enough and you can't accurately describe it's beauty. The water was a surreal aqua color with white caps all the way to the islands. The rains we've had lately have made any open area thick with green grasses. Certain species of wildflowers are already starting to grow too. The sky was clear blue with great puffy clouds blowing across it. The wind blowing as I walked made me glad for my thick hooded sweatshirt. It was a great day to be outside.

1 comment: